Spring is finally here! We’ve made it through the cold and wet winter months, Daylight Savings is around the corner and everywhere flowers are blooming.
As well as improving everyone’s overall feeling of wellbeing, the warmer weather and longer days are a good opportunity to embark on some basic maintenance jobs around your rental property. Now is the perfect time to clear out the gutters, do some basic garden maintenance while the ground is still relatively soft, and sort out other minor issues that can be an annoyance to good tenants.
If you struggle to find the time to do it yourself, talk to your property manager about organising someone to do the work for you. Your property manager will have a network of reliable tradespeople on call to help.
Here are some quick fixes for your rental property this spring:
• Clean out roof spouting and ground gutters
• Re-attach loose downpipes
• Fix dripping taps (inside and out)
• Consider replacing the letterbox (if shabby)
• Ensure the garden is as low maintenance as possible (remove messy plants, trees, etc.)
• Water blast any outdoor areas that have built up moss, mould or algae over the winter months
• Ensure smoke alarms are working and have batteries
• Check kitchen range hoods and bathroom fans – remember these help the house look after itself.
• Fix any electrical sockets and/or appliances that don’t work. Not only will they be a nuisance for the tenants but could also be potentially dangerous.
• Repair or replace cracked tiles and bench tops (they look messy and can be dangerous and/or unhygienic)
• Consider installing a heat pump, HRV or other heating/ventilation system. Also ceiling/under floor and wall insulation (again, this will help the house maintain itself)